No home is complete without the pitter patter of doggy feet!

Friday, April 30, 2010

Let’s Talk About My Good Friend, Scout!

This is Scout. He is one of my oldest and dearest friends. You probably wouldn't know it by looking at him, but he'll be 12 years old in July. Yep, 12! He’s been a part of my life since he was 8 weeks old and, to be completely honest, I think only I can tell the difference between speckled fur and grey on his adorable little face, but, now that I've pointed it out, perhaps you can see it now, too!?!

I adopted Scout and his twin brother, Bandit, from the Animal Humane Society in September of 1998. Sadly, as many of you already know, we lost Bandit to cancer a little more than a year ago. It was an extremely difficult loss and I was really worried about how it would affect Scout, but, with his younger brother and sister by his side, he seems to be doing just fine. Scout is, of course, what veterinarians refer to as a "senior dog," but, let me just tell you, he sure doesn't act like a senior! He runs around like a maniac, barking and playing with the puppies (a/k/a Daisy and Darby, who are now 3 and 2), and takes in at least a game or two of "Get the Puppy" each day.

"Get the Puppy" is a game that the Scout, Daisy, and Darby really, REALLY like to play! Of course, as the youngest member of our spotted pack, Darby is the "puppy" part of the game and, believe it or not, he truly enjoys it! As a matter of fact, Darby is almost always the instigator! Basically, Darby kicks off the game with a good pounce or swat of the paw across the nose, followed by a whole lot of crazy barking and running around. Scout and Daisy then chase and wrestle Darby to the ground and, with tails a wagging, take turns biting and pulling at his tail and ears. They roll around, bark, and play like this for quite a while each morning and almost every night. By the end of the game, Darby is covered in slobber from head to toe, but he, too, gets in a few pulls of the tail and a nip or two at the feet, but no one ever gets hurt. This is just how they play. I've never seen a happier bunch of animals!

Thankfully, Scout's only ailments are his arthritis and the heart murmur he somehow genetically inherited, but I give him glucosamine and Coenzyme Q10 every day and that seems to keep him healthy and happy. He also has a few lumps and bumps and some bad back molars, but, because of his age and heart defect, we cannot risk anesthesia, so I brush his teeth and monitor the lumps. I love my little baby and I’d do anything for him. I love him and I want him to live a long, happy life. He is a good dog and a loyal friend, just like his twin, and I dread the day that we, too, have to say goodbye. I know the day will come, but that day is not today and, until then, I will kiss and love on him as much as I possibly can!

I love you Scout!

No comments: