Shoosha! The month of August has sure been a busy one! It began with me taking two huge tests immediately upon my return from Minnesota, followed by finals the very next week, and then finishes with me returning to school for even more science after a very short summer break! Whoo-hoo!
I am officially pre-med this fall and will be sitting in class for 6 hours a day, four times a week, plus doing a ton of homework outside of class! That said, thank God I am not working! To be completely honest, I won’t be allowed to work when I enter medical school anyway (much like law school), but I’ve done the whole working full-time and going to school full-time thing before and, when I did, I saw no one outside of work, went nowhere other than work and school, did nothing other than homework, and missed out on a lot of things over the course of eight years! I lived and breathed work and school and, even though I ended up with two associate’s degrees and a bachelor’s degree (and subsequently worked in the field of my choice for 16 years), that was all there was – work and school!
That was then, this is now. I have a new perspective on life, a renewed sense of purpose, and a loving and supportive husband who is in need of my reciprocal love and support! Of course, some members of my family don’t quite understand any of this going back to school and not working stuff, but I’m doing what I need to do and I’m doing it my way. I need an extremely strong foundation of science and a super high GPA to enter into the occupational therapy program at the university (a program which accepts only 24 students a year) and the best way to accomplish these things is to focus on my studies and not be distracted by work.
Needless to say, I am very fortunate that I do not HAVE to work this time around with school and thankfully, without me bringing in a dime of income (not even unemployment benefits, which, even though entitled, we decided not to take), Dan and I are still somewhat financially secure. That said, my secret stash of savings (pre-Dan) is most definitely dwindling, but I am very blessed and I know it. I also know that many folks are struggling right now just to make ends meet and my thoughts are with them during this time of financial hardship.
For those of you who are curious, I ended up scoring a 100% on each test when I returned from Minnesota (a complete shock!) and then scored a 94% on my cumulative biology final and a 96% on my chemistry final (the highest grade of everyone in class)! Yippie! An A+ in each course! What’s next? Well, I have to take two more Chemistry classes (for a total of three), one more Biology class (for a total of two), and then Anatomy & Physiology I and II, plus Probability and Statistics and a Public Speaking course, as well as an elective or two before nabbing another associate’s degree and transferring to the university’s medical school for their occupational therapy (OT) program. Once I’m finished there, I will have a doctoral degree in OT and be able to enter the field of medicine as an occupational therapist where I will work with people of all ages (neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric). As an occupational therapist, I can either go into private practice or work in hospitals, rehabilitation facilities, schools, or adult and child daycares. In any event, there will always be a need and there will always be work - challenging and rewarding work that benefits deserving and appreciative people!!!
I am officially pre-med this fall and will be sitting in class for 6 hours a day, four times a week, plus doing a ton of homework outside of class! That said, thank God I am not working! To be completely honest, I won’t be allowed to work when I enter medical school anyway (much like law school), but I’ve done the whole working full-time and going to school full-time thing before and, when I did, I saw no one outside of work, went nowhere other than work and school, did nothing other than homework, and missed out on a lot of things over the course of eight years! I lived and breathed work and school and, even though I ended up with two associate’s degrees and a bachelor’s degree (and subsequently worked in the field of my choice for 16 years), that was all there was – work and school!
That was then, this is now. I have a new perspective on life, a renewed sense of purpose, and a loving and supportive husband who is in need of my reciprocal love and support! Of course, some members of my family don’t quite understand any of this going back to school and not working stuff, but I’m doing what I need to do and I’m doing it my way. I need an extremely strong foundation of science and a super high GPA to enter into the occupational therapy program at the university (a program which accepts only 24 students a year) and the best way to accomplish these things is to focus on my studies and not be distracted by work.
Needless to say, I am very fortunate that I do not HAVE to work this time around with school and thankfully, without me bringing in a dime of income (not even unemployment benefits, which, even though entitled, we decided not to take), Dan and I are still somewhat financially secure. That said, my secret stash of savings (pre-Dan) is most definitely dwindling, but I am very blessed and I know it. I also know that many folks are struggling right now just to make ends meet and my thoughts are with them during this time of financial hardship.
For those of you who are curious, I ended up scoring a 100% on each test when I returned from Minnesota (a complete shock!) and then scored a 94% on my cumulative biology final and a 96% on my chemistry final (the highest grade of everyone in class)! Yippie! An A+ in each course! What’s next? Well, I have to take two more Chemistry classes (for a total of three), one more Biology class (for a total of two), and then Anatomy & Physiology I and II, plus Probability and Statistics and a Public Speaking course, as well as an elective or two before nabbing another associate’s degree and transferring to the university’s medical school for their occupational therapy (OT) program. Once I’m finished there, I will have a doctoral degree in OT and be able to enter the field of medicine as an occupational therapist where I will work with people of all ages (neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric). As an occupational therapist, I can either go into private practice or work in hospitals, rehabilitation facilities, schools, or adult and child daycares. In any event, there will always be a need and there will always be work - challenging and rewarding work that benefits deserving and appreciative people!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment